secondary server install

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at verizon.net
Fri Aug 8 11:33:37 UTC 2003

Bill Friedman wrote:
> This is my first BIND install....a few questions.
>
> 1. Is it okay to run different versions of BIND on master and slave
> servers, e.g. 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 respectively? I'd just as soon not upgrade
> the existing server if not necessary.

It should be fine, especially between such minor change numbers. There
are some fascinating bits that got mutated between versions 4, 8, and 9,
but things mostly work even between 4 and 9. The authors work very, very
hard not to break people's old servers.

> I've built and installed 9.2.2 on the secondary, an RH7 box.
>  Interestingly, no init script or named.conf file was installed so I
> just copied from existing master server and created hard link from
> /usr/local/sbin installed files to /usr/sbin which is what init script
> looks into.

Yeah, it's not fair or reasonable to expect bind authors to keep up with
all the vagaries of init scripts for all the different OS's that use bind.

Why not just grab the bind-*.src.rpm and burn your own RPM's with a new
source tarball and version number to match? That way you have RPM
management, and any packages that depend on bind know that you have
installed a recent version.

> for example.

> zone "mydomain.com" in {
>         type slave;
>         file "db.mydomain";
>         notify no;
>         allow-transfer {
>                 192.168.0.5;
>                 206.228.179.10;
>                 144.228.254.10;
>                 144.228.255.10;
>         };
> };
>
> ...except for the loopback address
>
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
>         type master;
>         file "db.127.0.0";
> };
>
> Is that all there is to it?  What sort of logging entries am I looking
> for to make sure the replication works?
>
> I'm not averse to reading docs, but, will take any hints I can get.
>
> thanks

I think you're basically OK. You might want to pull the files out of the
appropriate RPM's just to compare the formats of a version that's known
to work....