secondary server install

Bill Friedman linguafr at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 8 08:00:24 UTC 2003

This is my first BIND install....a few questions.

1. Is it okay to run different versions of BIND on master and slave
servers, e.g. 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 respectively? I'd just as soon not upgrade
the existing server if not necessary.

I've built and installed 9.2.2 on the secondary, an RH7 box.
 Interestingly, no init script or named.conf file was installed so I
just copied from existing master server and created hard link from
/usr/local/sbin installed files to /usr/sbin which is what init script
looks into.

I also copied the zone db files from the existing server.

 From what I've read so far, in this doc,
http://www.linuxhq.com/ldp/howto/DNS-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.6, it appears I
only need to alter the named.conf as follows.  I substituted slave for
master wherever it appears in named.conf, and added the master servers
ip address to the allow-transfer list.  The other ip addresses are the
isps nservers.

for example.

zone "mydomain.com" in {
        type slave;
        file "db.mydomain";
        notify no;
        allow-transfer {
                192.168.0.5;
                206.228.179.10;
                144.228.254.10;
                144.228.255.10;
        };
};

...except for the loopback address

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0.0";
};

Is that all there is to it?  What sort of logging entries am I looking
for to make sure the replication works?

I'm not averse to reading docs, but, will take any hints I can get.

thanks

--
Thank You