BIND9 query problem

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Aug 5 18:30:28 UTC 2003

    Dan> SoRRY to bug (and mind the broken shift key please). I am
    Dan> running BIND9 on a linux machine and I have noticed that
    Dan> hundreds upon hundreds of dns queries are hitting My box from
    Dan> around the world for dns queries. I am lOOKing for a CONfig
    Dan> option that would block all querIES to the world except for
    Dan> zones that I actually host. Is this possible in any using the
    Dan> config files for bind instead of firewalling dns from
    Dan> everyone except root servers?

"Firewalling dns from everyone except root servers" makes no sense at
all. It achieves nothing. Other than allow traffic through from
servers that will NEVER EVER send queries to you.

It is perfectly possible to only allow your name servers to answer
queries for the zones they serve. Consult the list archives for
details. The question you posted has been asked and answered many
times already. A search engine will guide you to the list archives if
you can't find them on your own.

    Dan> And would firewalling all but root servers work?

No. What makes you think the root servers even care about the
existence of your name server(s), let alone want to query them?