creeping death ???

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 09:18:17 UTC 2002

Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

>         Well DNS error are not usually geographically related.  All
>         I can think of is that there is some data related link layer
>         error and all the sites involved transit a common path.

I can traceroute to totara the NZ server from the UK (24 hops -
ouch), but it doesn't answer like a DNS server (nor rata, so the
domain is dead from here).

My guess is an over aggressive firewall rule, or an
inappropriate access list in named.conf, the 24 hops doesn't
help, but hell it was 28 hops to Apple.com from here recently,
so it should still work.

If all else fails, it goes through PAIX, so we know who to
scapegoat ;)