creeping death ???

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Wed Sep 25 03:55:23 UTC 2002

On 25 Sep 2002, Tommy McLeod wrote:

> we provide Name Services for iea-shc.org. I can query this from almost
> anywhere in the world (can get SOA's etc), however, I have some people
> trying to get to www.iea-shc.org from finland, denmark and now Sweden
> who are unable to resolve anything, they cant even get soa's for the
> domain.

One of my queries to rata.vuw.ac.nz timed out, from california. FYI.

> Heres the funny part, we serve ns requests for vuw.ac.nz, the affected
> servers in finland and denmark can resolve those perfectly, they get
> soa's etc but still cant get iea-shc.org

You just said that they can get the SOA, not that they can query the same
name servers that are authoritative for iea-shc.org. I suspect that you
have a network problem for those two servers. You want your folks having
the problems to repeatedly try:

dig iea-shc.org. soa @rata.vuw.ac.nz.

and

dig iea-shc.org. soa @totara.its.vuw.ac.nz.

And find out if they can reach the servers. Also, make sure that they are
getting the right IP's for those servers.

HTH,

Doug

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?