IP (not zone) delegation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 18 22:31:26 UTC 2002

Well, you _could_ give MS-DNS control over all of your "mixed" reverse zones,
and just maintain the non-Windows and/or legacy Windows (i.e. pre-Win2K, if you
have any) devices in those zones manually via the GUI. But this would be a real
pain if some of those devices use DHCP and your users expect coherent reverse
lookups.

I don't see that RFC 2317 is going to help you, unless Windows
auto-registration has become RFC 2317-aware since the last time I looked at it.
If that's the case, maybe you could get the DHCP server to restrict the Windows
devices to a certain range of addresses, and then populate that range in the
BIND-hosted reverse DNS zone ($GENERATE is designed for this kind of
thing) with aliases pointing into a MS-DNS-hosted zone.

- Kevin