IP (not zone) delegation

Smith, John john.smith at minolta-qms.com
Wed Sep 18 21:59:28 UTC 2002

All,

	First, thanks for all the responses.

	Second, I am basically a 'Unix' person with some Microsoft
knowledge.  I knew there would be information I was missing in my original
post so I will try and fill in some gaps (although I am sure I will miss
some more).

	We are planning on using Dynamic DNS, at least on the Windows
systems.  That has been a *big* push from management: "We want the least
amount of manual entry of hostnames as possible."

	Per the consultant's design the main point of separating the MS and
non-MS zones was to keep the MS (Active Directory, DNS, DDNS, DHCP, etc.)
overhead ('_' zones, etc.) within the Windows world.

	We do not have a set way we are going to handle this as we are still
trying to get it figured out.  It dawned on me that the forward delegations
were not hard (and they were not), but the reverse delegations were going to
be a different story since there will be common networks in both zones.
Also, since we have wireless laptops, we could end up with a host with
different reverse records depending on what building it is in.

	I apologize that my requirements weren't clear enough (and still may
not be clear enough).  I have another thread to the list that I have
submitted that I need to do some clarification on.

	And I can tell from Kevin's response that I need to take a look at
RFC 2317.

	Thanks again for all the help.

John