IP (not zone) delegation

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Sep 18 13:45:03 UTC 2002

"Smith, John" <john.smith at minolta-qms.com> wrote:

>	Background: We are in the process of installing DNS internally.
>Based on a consultant's design suggestions we are configuring the zones as
>follows (I will use test.net as the *example* zone):
>
>	------------
>	| test.net | (All non-Windows boxes are in this zone.  This will be a Bind server.)
>	------------
>	      | delegation
>	---------------
>	| ms.test.net | (All Windows boxes are in this subzone.  This will be a Windows 2000 DNS server.)
>	---------------
>
>	The question I have is how to handle in-addr.arpa delegations.  One
>side of our router has 172.16.111.0/24 addresses that contain a mixture of
>Windows and non-Windows systems.  The other side of our router has
>172.16.112.0/24 addresses that are primarily Windows boxes but have a small
>percentage of 'others'.
>
>	Given this set up how should or can we handle in-addr.arpa
>delegations, or is another design 'better' and why?

What is the purpose of segregating the Windows and non-Windows
computers into separate zones?  The answer to this question will
determine the best solution.  If you are plannning on having the Windows
boxes do self-registration or DHCP dynamic registration, then I have
to agree with the others who have replied - there is no clean solution.
If you are planning on static DNS registrations or DHCP registrations
with long term leases (i.e., no dynamic DNS), then I would use the
MS W2k DNS Server only for the four "_" zones.  On my W2k DNS Server
I have 15 sets of "_" zones.  I also have one forward zone and its
five reverse zones.  I can do this because each of the reverse zones
(/24) is assigned to the forward zone, and everything in these zones
are dynamic, controlled by DHCP.  I have a handful of static nodes
for our Library group in that subnet, because there is a branch library
in that building.  But I handle these five nodes in the reverse zone
by entering them manually in the W2k DNS Server via the GUI; the
forward entries are in my BIND server, along with all of the other
library entries.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov