Problem with Dynamic Update of SRV Record.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Sep 14 02:41:55 UTC 2002

Nitin Khurana wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am facing a peculiar problem, I have a linux box which acts as a
> nameserver for me, a solaris 8 box which is the client , the client
> sends dynamic updates for SRV and TXT records to the nameserver. This
> works perfectly fine but when I replace the client with a Linux 7.1 box,
> the same dynamic update code fails giving a FORMAT ERROR.(returned by
> res_send)
>  I have made my own dynamic update packets being formed stuffing into a
> character buffer and have taken care of all endian issues. The packet is
> sent to the nameserver using res_send. Could you please give me any clue
> as to what could be the reason behind this problem.

My guess would be that the resolver library on your Linux box doesn't like
the format of your packet, or is munging it somehow so that the remote
server is rejecting it with a FORMERR response.

I'd try to determine what version of the resolver library you were using on
the Solaris 8 box and compare it with the version on the Linux box. If the
Linux box has a later version, you'll have to figure out why it's being so
picky and appease it. If the Linux box has an earlier version of the
resolver library, then I'd probably look for an RPM of a later version, or
update it manually from a freshly-downloaded-and-built BIND distribution.

- Kevin