Bind 9.22rc1 failure under Win32

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Sep 12 23:41:14 UTC 2002

At 10:40 AM 9/12/02, Jeffery Jones wrote:

>On 5 Sep 2002 23:05:38 -0000, "Stanley Liu" <stanley.liu at toyota.com.au> wrote:
>
> >> I am unaware of any problem that would cause it to stop resolving external
> >> zones under Win32.  How do you know that it isn't?  Did you run dig
> >against
> >> the box and get timeouts instead of a response? Did you use fully
> >qualified
> >> domain names? Are the authorative nameservers lame? Do you have a
> >> firewall problem? Are all queries to external zones timedout or just some
> >of
> >> them?
>
>     I upgraded from 8.33 to 9.2.2rc1 and got results similar to 9.2.1: it
> would run
>for 3 to 24 hours then fail.

How would it fail? What's the output of a query?

>    I have one debug session, but unfortunately after I
>dumped the cache, I realized that nothing I queried with DIG was in cache.

What do you mean by a debug session.  Did you compile the source code
and run it under the debugger?

>    However,
>it also failed to return anything for a zone for which it was authoritative.

What did it do?

>   8.33 runs for
>months (or at least between hotfix reboots!) without failing.
>
>    Here's some more details:
>

>Failure #1 (after about 20 hours) -
>
>Sep 11 19:04:12.337 socket.c:2230: fatal error:
>Sep 11 19:04:12.337 select() failed: Socket operation on non-socket
>Sep 11 19:04:12.337 exiting (due to fatal error in library)

This is a known problem that is fixed in 9.3.0.

>Failure #2 after running for about 3 hours, nothing in log file:
>

> >rndc status
>
>number of zones: 287
>debug level: 0
>xfers running: 0
>xfers deferred: 0
>soa queries in progress: 0
>query logging is OFF
>server is up and running
>
> >rndc stats
>
>+++ Statistics Dump +++ (1031827355)
>success 46762
>referral 380
>nxrrset 1747
>nxdomain 69830
>recursion 38606
>failure 853
>--- Statistics Dump --- (1031827355)
>

> >dig www.yahoo.com. @192.168.212.3
>
>; <<>> DiG 9.2.2rc1 <<>> www.yahoo.com. @192.168.212.3
>;; global options:  printcmd
>;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

You need to file a bug report to bind9-bugs at isc.org.
Does the server respond to anything, like rndc or any TCP request like
a zone transfer?

>    (This was run from the machine and should have returned immediately as in
>the example below run after I downgraded back to 8.33:)
>

>; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.yahoo.com. @192.168.212.3
>; (1 server found)
>;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
>;; got answer:
>;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4
>;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 9, AUTHORITY: 10, ADDITIONAL: 10
>;; QUERY SECTION:
>;;      www.yahoo.com, type = A, class = IN
>
>    .... NORMAL STUFF DELETED ....
>
>;; Total query time: 0 msec
>;; FROM: homeur to SERVER: 192.168.212.3  192.168.212.3
>;; WHEN: Thu Sep 12 10:08:42 2002
>;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 539

Danny