Large Zone transfer from Bind 8/9 - W2K

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Sep 5 12:07:10 UTC 2002

At 03:56 AM 9/5/02, Stanley Liu wrote:

>Danny,
>

> > At 08:47 PM 9/4/02, Jeffery Jones wrote:
> > >     I have since gone back and confirmed that the large zone transfers
> > >properly from a Bind 9 master at T-1 speeds.   I am unable to upgrade
> > >the Bind 8.33 master to a Bind 9.2.0 master because it eventually
> > >stops resolving external zones under Win32.   Does the current beta
> > >release candidate BIND 9.2.2rc1 correct this problem under Win32?
> >
> > I am unaware of any problem that would cause it to stop resolving external
> > zones under Win32.  How do you know that it isn't?  Did you run dig
>against
> > the box and get timeouts instead of a response? Did you use fully
>qualified
> > domain names? Are the authorative nameservers lame? Do you have a
> > firewall problem? Are all queries to external zones timedout or just some
>of
> > them?
> >
>I do experience the problem Jeffery highlighted above: BIND9.2.1 for NT
>stops to resolve external zones after a while.  Sometimes it stops resolve
>even local zones.  If you look at the NT service console, the ISC BIND
>service is still running but it just times out (?) all queries.  I run dig
>against the box using fully qualified domain names (external and local) with
>no firewall in between.  I've posted here before and couple of guys reported
>that it was a known problem and recommended to go back to BIND8.3.3.  It was
>very tempting but I've decided to give BIND 9.2.2rc1 a try and so far (about
>a week) so good.

9.2.0 did have an occasional problem with timeouts because of a problem
with the select loop but should only have been seen when there was no
activity on the machine. 9.2.1 fixed that but at the expense of making the
select timeout too short and having it become compute bound. 9.2.2rc1
should be just right. 9.3.0 will totally eliminate these problems as it's a
rewrite of that piece of code. Unfortunately it's not yet available even in a
snapshot.

>Judging from your response, Danny, you don't seem to be aware of such a
>problem.  You've got me worry now (about eliminating the problem using
>BIND9.2.2rc1).

You need to let us know.

>Regards,
>
>Stanley Liu