I can get an answer with nslookup but I can not ping.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 4 00:34:26 UTC 2002

Robert Messinger wrote:

> Why can I get an answer with nslookup but not ping the
> record?
>
> Server:  winnie.tiggee.com
> Address:  192.168.1.2
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    redirect.dnsmadeeasy.com
> Address:  64.50.168.177
> Aliases:  aaron.superbeagle.com
>
> >ping aaron.superbeagle.com
> Ping request could not find host aaron.superbeagle.com. Please check the name and try again.
>
> Does this make sense?  This is the only record
> which is failing?

Nslookup is DNS-specific, but "ping" uses whatever your system is set up for name resolution,
which might include things other than DNS (e.g. NIS/YP, NetInfo, hosts files). Also, the system
resolver typically has different timeout/retry thresholds than nslookup does. For these
reasons, it's not unusual for the results of nslookup to differ from the results of something
like ping. If some other source of name information is interfering, then you need to find that
source and correct it, or reconfigure your system to give more priority to DNS. If it is a
timeout/retry issue, then you need to perform network troubleshooting to determine the cause.

- Kevin