BIND upgrade to 8.3.1, but still old version with nslookup!!!!

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 2 17:06:53 UTC 2002

Roger wrote:

> DNS BIND upgrade
> from 8.2.2-P5 to 8.3.1 on SPARC/Solaris8
>
> #pkgrm bind-8.2.2?
> #pkgadd -d bind-8.3.1?
>
> I get new files /usr/local/sbin
>
> BUT I still get the old version in the messages log files (even after
> reboot) -> ?.named starting in.named BIND 8.2.2-P5?
> and with
> C:\>nslookup -q=txt -class=CHAOS version.bind
> VERSION.BIND    text = "BIND 8.2.2-P5"
>
> Any idea why ?

At a guess is the old version in /sbin/, check the startup
script is pointing to /usr/local/sbin, or rename the old version
"named.old", and put a hard/symbolic link in to
/usr/local/sbin/named

Did the package get the manual pages in the right place? My
guess is it is a third party package built with default
locations rather than SUN's for everything?

What was wrong with BIND 9.2.1 BTW?

Oh and that is "dig @127.0.0.1 version.bind chaos txt" time to
lose your nslookup habit before it is too late ;)