Question about recursive name resolution

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Oct 31 09:10:58 UTC 2002

> Thank you very much for your reply. Now I know the reason why the high level
> name servers do not use recursive name lookup. But if they used this kind of
> method, would the performace be improved because they can use the caching
> data to respond the requests from  clients more quickly? And the network
> traffic would be reduced?

	Marginally which is what some people configure caching
	servers to ask other caching servers first (see forwarders).
	However doing so moves the cost of lookup away from the
	client and to the higher level servers which would then have
	to provisioned to hold the cache and support the extra
	traffic to perform the lookups.  It also make it easier to
	spread bad data.  For these reasons it is not done.

	In other words it doesn't scale and it weakens a already
	weak security model.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org