Bind v9 as secondary when primary is Bind v8

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Oct 19 01:20:28 UTC 2002

> I'm having trouble configuring a secondary name server using Bind 9. I
> suspect that this has something to do with the fact that my primary server
> is running Bind 8.
>
> When I reload the _secondary_ name server the following is logged to
> /var/log/messages for each zone referenced in named.conf:
>
> Oct 18 20:48:44 HOSTNAME named[1984]: dumping master file:
> /chroot/named/etc/tmp-XXXXWkiZFA: open: file not found
> Oct 18 20:48:44 HOSTNAME named[1984]: transfer of 'domain.ext/IN' from
> 207.228.240.60#53: failed while receiving responses: file not found
> Oct 18 20:48:44 HOSTNAME named[1984]: transfer of 'domain.ext/IN' from
> 207.228.240.60#53: end of transfer

	I suspect that you are runing with "-t /chroot/named" and
	as such "/chroot/named" is *NOT* needed in the file references
	in named.conf.  Named is trying to open
	"/chroot/named/chroot/named/etc/tmp-XXXXWkiZFA" and
	"/chroot/named/chroot/named/etc" does not exist resulting in
	the error being reported.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org