CNAME for main domain

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Nov 27 23:35:01 UTC 2002

> Am I correct in understanding that a PTR record can indicate a CNAME?

	PTR's (like every other record that refers to another **) should
	refer to the cannonical name.

	What is on the RHS of a CNAME is the cannonical name.  The LHS
	is the alias.

		<alias> CNAME <cannonical-name>

	** CNAME chains are to be expected.

> For some reason I thought that this would interfere with certain
> programs (like MTAs and SSHD) that do reverse DNS calls: I thought
> that in trying to verify a hostname they would look it up, follow any
> CNAMEs, note the A record's name, and verify that the IP's reverse
> mapping matched the A record. Would they instead check that the IP
> matched either the A record or one of any CNAMEs? If a PTR at a CNAME
> is both without the complications I described and standards-legal,
> then it would indeed prevent the reverse-record untidiness I feared.

	I'll leave this alone as it is based on the incorrect assumptions.

> (It struck me as tacky and artificial to have an IP resolve to the
> zone apex.)

	Well example.com is just as much a hostname as www.example.com.

	The reason why people started using www.example.com was to move
	the service to a different machine to that which was handling
	example.com.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org