Change in IP address of the DNS server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 26 23:15:37 UTC 2002

sudhakar wrote:

> Hi All,
> Can any of you gurus share your experiences on changing the IP address of
> the DNS server with me. I'm running BIND 8.2 on  Redhat Linux 6.2.

At a minimum, you need to update the A record(s) owned by that nameserver
name, e.g. update the ns.example.com A record(s) in the example.com zone.

Additionally, if the nameserver appears in delegations from some zone that
you do not control, e.g. example.com delegated from .com, then you may need
to go through the appropriate organization/authority to get the "glue"
records in the parent zone updated. In the case of gTLDs like "com",
"net" or "org", this means going through your domain registrar (e.g.
Verisign, register.com, dotster or whomever) to get your "host" record
updated. For ccTLDs (country-code TLDs like .ca, .uk and so forth) there
should be a similar process, but in that case there might not be any
commercial middleman involved.

- Kevin