How to stop ActiveDirectory Requests on DNS Server ?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 22 22:50:50 UTC 2002

Upgrade.  See http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html.

> I have Sniffed some DNS traffic and i'm seeing lot's of requests :
>
> Standard query SRV _ldap._tcp.foo.msdcs.FooAgain
> Standard query SRV
> _ldap._tcp.c4ac1ec-5c9c1.domains._msdcds.FooAgainAgain Standard query
> SRV _kerberos._tcp.dc._msdcs.FooAgainAgain
>
> FooAgain, FooAgain and FooAgainAgain are LOCAL, web site, computer
> hostname ;etc..
>
> I'm looking for a technical solution that disable my dns server to
> look up these request on Root Servers.
> Maybe to drop these requests or make them resolved to 127.0.0.1.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help regarding my problem.

Unless FooAgain is a real zone, set up a minimal FooAgain zone on
your name server.  For example:

zone "FooAgain" {
    type master;
    file "db.FooAgain";
};

db.FooAgain:

$TTL 1d
@    SOA    ns1.FooAgain.    root.FooAgain.    (
    2002112200 1h 15m 30d 1h )
        NS    ns1.FooAgain.

ns1    A    <your name server's IP address>

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/