Bind 8 & ndc

David Botham dns at botham.net
Fri Nov 22 21:57:43 UTC 2002

(/app/named/etc/ndc.d/ndc)

> I saw that there wasn't any ndc.d directory, then I created it. But
that
> message appeared again. I tried to create ndc file (#touch ndc) but
the
> same error message appears. I find out in Internet for some help about
ndc
> and ndc.d/ndc and I found that ndc is a "socket file". I don't know if

Yes, this file is a socket.  It is a unix domain socket used for inter
process communication (IPC) between ndc and named. You cannot create
this file by "touch"ing it.

> it's true, but on another DNS that works well, exist this file as :
>
> # cd /app/named/etc/ndc.d/
> # ls -a
> ..    ..   ndc
> # ls -la
> total 4
> drwx------   2 root     root         512 Jul 26 16:07 .
> drwxr-xr-x   3 named    other        512 Oct 15 12:34 ..
> srwxr-xr-x   1 root     other          0 Jul 26 16:07 ndc

Notice the "s" in the first character of the directory listing.  This
character indicates that this is a "stream" file (socket).

> I don't know if it is created automatically during BIND's
installation, or