how to change the save path of named.run

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Nov 19 23:42:44 UTC 2002

> John wrote:
>
> > Hi DNS folks,
> >
> > Our DNS is a HP-Unix platform with BIND 8.2.5.
> > We use sig_named debug tool to generate a debug file.
> > Normal the log file "named.run" is saved under /var/tmp, but in our DNS
> > the file is located under /etc/named. You see immediately the problem
> > -->  The file system will be very quicky full.
> > So I want to change the path of "named.run" where it will be saved. My
> > question is: How and which file I have to edit to change the path to
> > /var/tmp or where ever.
>
> named.run should be written wherever named is running, which is set by the
> "directory" option.

	You can control the location by setting up logging appropriately.

	e.g.

	logging {
		channel "mydebug" {
			 file "myfile";
			 severity dynamic;
		};
		category default { default_syslog; mydebug; };
	};

	NOTE: the default location was moved from /usr/tmp for security
	considerations.   Choose a non-globally writable dirrectory.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org