DNS: label too long

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Mon Nov 18 14:51:38 UTC 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Edmiston, Jerry wrote:

> Whenever I attempt to update my DNS zones, I keep getting the following
> message:
>
> zone 55.21.172.IN_ADDR.ARPA/IN: loading master file TAMPA/tampa.db.3.2.1:
> label too long

You probably have a label (part of a hostname) somewhere in that file
that's longer than 63 characters. The overall length of a hostname can
only be 255 characters, but each label has to be 63 or less as well.

Also, I think you want in-addr.arpa, instead of in_addr.arpa. Spelling
counts in DNS.

Good luck,

Doug

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?