DNS Problem: Help!

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 17 14:37:34 UTC 2002

Mike Diggins wrote:

> > Of the three IP address for the name servers for this /24 two
> > are lame and one is not a name server.
>
> Could you tell me how you discovered this?

Queries like;
dig @authoritative_name_server_ip zone_name  record_type

should have the "AA" (authoritative answer) flag set. If not
they must have obtained the answer via recursion. The situation
for "NXDOMAIN" is slight more complex so it only works for
records that exist, so I usually ask for the zones name servers
or SOA, since one NS and one SOA must exist.

dig @192.5.6.32 131.57.24.in-addr.arpa ns

> I may have to do that if the ISP can't get this fixed. It's a funny
> problem, normally I wouldn't expect it to be a major problem but it seems
> to cause problems with Solaris.

I assume Solaris has "ping -n" to avoid DNS lookups.

Solaris ftp daemon use to insist on reverse lookup by default.

 Simon