DNS Problem: Help!

Mike Diggins diggins at McMaster.CA
Sat Nov 16 23:24:10 UTC 2002

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Ragnar Paulson wrote:

> > We're having an odd problem with one ISP whose customers make use of our
> > University network resources. The problem is that our name servers are
> > finding incorrect Authoritative name servers for the IP address in
> > question (actually a range of addresses beginning at 24.57.128.0 - not
> > their entire address space, just part of it). The IP address for their
> > name server NS.CGOCABLE.NET comes back as 24.226.1.11 which is wrong, it's
> > not even a name server. It should be 24.226.1.94! If I restart named it
> > sometimes picks up the correct address. I just restarted both my name
> > servers and find that they have, once again, an incorrect address.
>
> Are you trying to resolve an ip address to a name or vice versa?  The NS
> records for cgocable.net. in the gtld servers are
> NS2.cgocable.net and ns4.cgocable.net.   Those servers return 24.226.1.94
> for ns.cgocable.net but that is just an address record.

IP address to name.

> I see no delegation for 128.57.24.in-addr.arpa. at all.  So reverse name
> lookups in that range don't work for me at all.

Yes, they do have some DNS issues which I don't really care about other
than the impact it's having on us. It seems like our name servers are the
only ones being return incorrect data for NS.CGOCABLE.NET. This is the
result when I check them from my ISP's name servers.

> set norecursive
> 128.57.24.in-addr.arpa
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.0.1