named[299]: [ID 295310 daemon.error] xfer vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Don Byington donby at Synopsys.COM
Thu Nov 14 16:40:47 UTC 2002

Bind Users;

I have been running this configuration on this server( Sun Enterprise 420R
(2 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz), 2048 MB memory installed) for a year now and
have only seen this behavior when I use nsupdate to update/rebuild the
entire zone. Recently though, through the onslaught of W2K client installs
and the impending AD/DNS dominion we have started seeing this and it appears
to be due to the number of client updates. NOTE: The only systems allowed to
update the zone are the Bind servers and the DHCP server, all of the client
update requests get rejected.

I don know that the vfork message relates to not having the system memory
available to spawn the process. The "out of processes" would indicate a full
process table, however I have yet to see more that about 60 processes
running at one time.

The current messages file starts Nov 3. Here is the denied update count
since then to Nov 14 (today).
aorta 96# grep "denied update from" messages | wc -l
   16958

Once this point is reached I have to an 'l1a' on the box, and reboot.

Nov  6 02:05:00 aorta genunix: [ID 792718 kern.warning] WARNING: out of
processe
Nov  6 02:05:02 aorta last message repeated 14 times
Nov  6 02:05:02 aorta named[299]: [ID 295310 daemon.error] xfer vfork:
Resource
temporarily unavailable
Nov  6 02:05:02 aorta genunix: [ID 792718 kern.warning] WARNING: out of
processe
Nov  6 02:05:33 aorta last message repeated 27 times

Has anyone else experienced this?
Has anyone fixed this before?
Does anyone know if Bind 9 sees this?

If you want more info please ask for what you'd like to see.

Thanks,

Don

|Don Byington                 |                                    |
|Hillsboro IT                 |                                    |
|                             |  Don't make me come down there.    |
|Synopsys, Inc.               |                                    |
|2025 NW Cornelius Pass Road  |                          -God      |
|Hillsboro, OR 97124          |                                    |
|Phone: 503.547.6223          |                                    |
|Email: donby at synopsys.com    |                                    |