dynamic updates and zone files

mkes at ra.rockwell.com mkes at ra.rockwell.com
Wed Nov 13 13:04:14 UTC 2002

Hi,

I would like to setup a dynamic updates on my BIND 9 server. There some
aspects that are not clear to me.
I have some machines with fixed IP addresses (servers, workstations) and a
set of adresses that are reserved for dynamic assignment from DHCP server.
All the machines should belong to one domain.
The BIND documentation says that zone files with dynamic updates shouldn't
be edited by hand. So how should I setup the BIND configuration if I want
to be able to add new machines with fixed IP addresses by hand and have
the dynamic updates working? I assume there is no possibility to split
zone file for one domain into 2 ?

Thanks

Mira