Is Bind still broken?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 13 01:24:14 UTC 2002

N/A wrote:

> Don't the root servers run BIND?

Some do some don't.

You can ask them ('dig @a.root-servers.net version.bind chaos
txt') if you really want to know.

I'm not sure the original question should be dignified with an
answer, looks like a troll for business to me. But the answer
boils down to BIND isn't perfect, but it is so widely used, if
it isn't 'good enough' then the Internet wouldn't work. Doesn't
mean we shouldn't push for better software quality.

That said the root servers are properly configured and managed,
which can make up for a lot of deficiencies in the software
used. For example they don't allow recursion, which means they
aren't vulnerable to the latest security annoucement for BIND 4
and BIND 8.