secondary DNS server is meaningful?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Nov 12 11:44:09 UTC 2002

> >No.  All servers are used - roughly equally.
> Thanks for your answer.
> then
> 1. what's happening if the secondary DNS is down or not exist?

	If it's down the clients will ask the master after timing out.

> 2. what's happening if the primary DNS information and secondary DNS
> information is not like?

	You get indeterminate answer depending apon which server is
	queried.

> 3. what's happening if the primary DNS information is correct but secondary
> DNS has no data?

	If the secondary has no data it is not a secondary.

> 4. anyone who knows the document or site about the role of the secondary
> DNS server?

	The roll of the secondary is the same as the master to the rest
	of the world.  Only the servers themselves need to worry about
	which is which (UPDATES should be directed to the master if it
	can be determined based on SOA MNAME but will be forwarded if
	it cannot be determined).

> 5. I have lots of domains at one DNS server(secondary DNS is stopped), but
> I didn't have some problems up to now, what's the meaning?

	The DNS is designed to cope with failures.  However you are wasting
	everyone elses resources by not having it running.