BIND9 Primary DNS Configuration

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 8 17:26:04 UTC 2002

kamran remin wrote:
> i have the following problem:
>
> i have rented a dedicated server at a isp. even if it is a bad idea to
> run multiple services on a server, i want to run mail, http/https and
> dns on this single server. my isp has offered to use their dns as a
> secondary for mine. that's were the toruble started.
>
> according to dns-resolution, my official dns-name is
> ds80-237-200.90.dedicated.hosteurope.de with the ip-address of
> 80.237.200.90. my isp also told me that the ip-address of the server
> that i can use as a secondary is 80.237.128.2 (b1.rsns.hosteurope.de).
>
> everytime i configure my dns and tell my iso that it is configured and
> try to do a update of the record for a domain (cms-pilot.de), my isp
> tells me that they checked my dns and there is something wrong with
> the dns-resolution.
>
> I configured the following things on my dns:
>
> 1. i added a zone-entry in /etc/bind/named.conf like this:
>
> zone "cms-pilot.de" {
>    type master;
>    file "cms-pilot.de";
>    notify yes;
>    allow-transfer { 80.237.128.2; };
> };
>
> 2. i added a zonefile under /var/cache/bind/, that looks like this:
>
> $TTL 3h
> cms.pilot.de.  IN SOA ns1.cms.pilot.de.  dns.cms-pilot.de (
>    2002110603;
>    3h;
>    1h;
>    1w;
>    1h )
>
> cms.pilot.de.
> IN NS  ns1.cms-pilot.de.
> cms-pilot.de.   IN NS  b1.rsns.hosteurop.de.
>
> localhost           IN A   127.0.0.1
> ns1.cms-pilot.de.   IN A   80.237.200.90
> www.cms-pilot.de.   IN A   80.237.200.90
> mail.cms-pilot.de.  IN A   80.237.200.90
>
> cms-pilot.de.       IN MX 1 mail.cms-pilot.de

You used "cms.pilot.de." instead of "cms-pilot.de." as the owner name
in the SOA record, and "ns1.cms.pilot.de." as the MNAME field.  Also,
you left out  the trailing dot in the RNAME field ("dns.cms-pilot.de").

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/