BIND 4 to BIND 9

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Nov 6 23:39:27 UTC 2002

> Hi,
>
> I've been given the unfortunate job of moving 200+ zone files to BIND 9
> as part of the transition of a major project. I have been given plenty
> of notice for this (makes a change) so I have plenty of time to play
> around with things. Has anybody developed any scripts for doing this? I
> don't fancy editing 200 odd files by hand, first to prove the principle
> - and then again before we go live and all the updates are passed over.
>
> cheers
>
> --
> Mike Buckley

	You shouldn't need to make any changes to the master files
	provided they don't contain errors.  Just run named-checkzone
	over them.  You may get a warning about using SOA MINIMUM
	but you can ignore that until you switch servers.  You will also
	need to ensure that the SOA record is the first record in the
	zone if you are using the SOA MINIMUM to supply the default TTL.

	named-checkzone is picker about syntax and other anomalies
	than named from BIND 4.  Just address any errors reported.

	Then make named-checkzone part of your update proceedures
	even while continuing to run BIND 4.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org