Dynamic DNS - NSLOOKUP failure

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 5 03:37:20 UTC 2002

Thomas B wrote:

> I have setup Dynamic DNS in our network and gotten it to work in our
> environment.  However, NSLOOKUPs fail for other domains and I don't
> know what option to setup in the dhcpd.conf file.
>
> I was told that it is better to specify a subdomain to use for Dynamic
> DNS due to the journal files and recommendation NOT to manually edit
> domains that use journal files.
>
> I configured our Dynamic dns as dd.reymon.com (our normal domain is
> reymon.com). NSLookups, Dynamic DNS and everything works fine for
> dd.reymon.com.  But NSLOOKUPs fail for anthing in the reymon.com
> domain unless I specify a FQDN.
>
> Anyone know which setting is missing in my DHCPD.CONF file?  My
> intuition tells me its a search domain, but I don't know which option
> in the dhcpd.conf file controls that.
>
> (Numbers and names have been changed to protect the guilty).

>    ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
>
> subnet 10.1.0.0 netmask 255.255.248.0 {
>         authoritative;
>         ddns-domainname "dd.reymon.com";
>         ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa.";
>         max-lease-time 604800;
>         default-lease-time 604800;
>         option netbios-name-servers 10.1.0.53;
>         option ntp-servers 10.1.2.130;
>         option log-servers 10.1.3.10;
>         option domain-name-servers 10.1.3.10, 10.1.4.10;
>         option domain-name "dd.reymon.com";
>         option broadcast-address 10.1.7.255;
>         option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
>         option routers 10.1.2.135;
>         range 10.1.5.20 10.1.5.240;

You're giving your DHCP clients the default domain name of
"dd.reymon.com" rather than "reymon.com", so this is the expected
behavior, i.e. you have to give the FQDN for any name outside of that
domain, including all ancestor domains.

Hopefully you realize that the domain which contains the DDNS names -- in
this case, dd.reymon.com -- and the value of the "default DNS domain"
DHCP option that you are providing your DHCP clients, don't necessary
have anything to do with each other...

- Kevin