WinNT BIND8.3.1 Tools - autodetect nameserver/domainname

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri May 24 15:31:58 UTC 2002

At 02:48 AM 5/24/02, J.Smith wrote:

> > If you are running NT 4.0, then the tools will find the registry entries
> > and use
> > them for the nameserver addresses. If you are running W2K/WXP then you
> > need to create a resolv.conf file in the system32/Drivers/etc/ directory.
> >

>Well like I stated earlier, I *am* running WindowsNT4  (not W2K/XP), and the
>tools still fail to find my domainname and nameserver. I know you have to
>use a resolv.conf on W2K/XP (yes ive read the readme) but the readme also
>states that this is not supposed to be neccessary on Windows NT4. In my
>case, it doesnt work on WindowsNT4 either, which is the reason I posted...
>

> > Can you post an example of the problem you are seeing?
> >

>Well ive already described it in an earlier post, but here's the output of
>the nslookup command that comes with the toolkit:
>

>nslookup splu0019
>;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Is the nameserver address in the registry different from 171.21.27.17?
If you really want this to work, you may need to create a resolv.conf file
and add a
search td.klm.nl
line to it in addition to the nameserver and domain lines.
You shouldn't assume that any domain will be automatically added and it's
not good practice to do so.

>nslookup splu0019 171.21.37.17
>Server:         171.21.37.17
>Address:        171.21.37.17#53
>** server can't find splu0019: NXDOMAIN

You should be providing FQDN for a lookup.  I did try this on my local system
running NT 4 and it worked for me both with an without a resolv.conf file and
for a server running on the same box.

>nslookup splu0019.td.klm.nl 171.21.37.17
>Server:         171.21.37.17
>Address:        171.21.37.17#53
>
>Name:   splu0019.td.klm.nl
>Address: 171.21.37.142

That worked.  There's no problem here.

>The host command and dig respond in a similair fashion.

dig REQUIRES a fully qualified domain name, so I don't know what problem
you are seeing.

>Sincerely,
>
>J.Smith.

Danny