WinNT BIND8.3.1 Tools - autodetect nameserver/domainname

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu May 23 21:03:30 UTC 2002

At 01:28 PM 5/22/02, J.Smith wrote:

> > Look for a resolv.conf file and edit
> > appropriately.
> >

>Well, WindowsNT4 does not actually has a 'native' (nor support for)
>resolv.conf. I guess this stuff gets buried somewhere in the registry on
>NT4. And since im only running the 'client' tools here, and not bind itself,
>it seems a little over the top to create this file just for the bind
>toolkit.

If you are running NT 4.0, then the tools will find the registry entries
and use
them for the nameserver addresses. If you are running W2K/WXP then you
need to create a resolv.conf file in the system32/Drivers/etc/ directory. This
is documented in the readme file that comes with the binary kit. The code
has not yet been modified to find the nameserver addresses in W2K, so you
need to fall back on the resolv.conf file. Note that named (BIND) server does
not use the resolv.conf file.  Only the resolver for the client tools need it.

> > I've never user this tool, however, the symptoms appear as if the tool
>isn't
> > using the standard Windows resolver.

It's not supposed to since it's a separate implementation.

>Yeah I was afraid of something like that ;)
>NT4 also has a 'native' version of 'nslookup', and this command defaults to
>my configured DNS server and domain name just fine, which seems to support
>your theory. Another option might be that the toolkit is looking at the
>wrong registry keys.

Only if you are running W2K or WXP.

>Would it be possible to modify the sources of these commands on NT so that
>they will retrieve the DNS Server and domainname I have configured on my
>system ?

See above.  Can you post an example of the problem you are seeing?

Danny