bind 9.2.1 slow closing UDP socket

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed May 22 16:03:21 UTC 2002

chris wrote:

> I am running BIND 9.2.1 on BSDi.

> happened before), then immediately trys to start named.  I see in the log
> when it shuts down:
>
> no longer listening on 127.0.0.1#53

On B. 9.2.1 Linux 2.2

May 22 15:57:08 linux1 named[17813]: no longer listening on
127.0.0.1#53
May 22 15:57:08 linux1 named[17813]: no longer listening on
ip#53
May 22 15:57:08 linux1 named[17813]: no longer listening on
anotherip#53
May 22 15:57:08 linux1 named[17813]: exiting

Do you get the 'exiting' message?

> and again for each interface.  These are logged the same second the
> script starts, like there is no delay at all.  Why does named log that
> the socket is closed when it is not?  Maybe that log entry is referring
> to the TCP socket, not UDP?

What does this script look like?
Why do you stop and start it anyway?

> I added a 4 second delay between stopping named and restarting it, but
> that was not enough today.  How long is a reasonable amount of time to
> wait for named to exit before starting it again?

I find "rndc stop ; /etc/init.d/named start" works fine without
sleeping.

Posting the full relevant syslog entries will help I suspect.