nsupdate question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 22 15:50:28 UTC 2002

In article <acgbq6$cfkm$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Cinense, Mark <macinen at sandia.gov> wrote:
>If I delete an address record using nsupdate, what happens to its aliases?
>Do I have to remove the aliases as well?

Yes.  Why would you expect otherwise?  There's nothing wrong with a CNAME
record that points to a name that has no A records.  For instance, RFC 2317
makes extensive use of CNAME records that point to names that normally only
have PTR records.

There isn't even anything wrong with CNAME records that point to names that
don't have *any* records.  Trying to look up something via the alias will
fail, but that's OK.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA