Can I make it simpler?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed May 15 14:47:04 UTC 2002

dbotham at edeltacom.com wrote:

> What I actually meant to wrote was something like...
>
> first.test.co.uk.       IN      A       192.168.0.9
> second.website.com.       IN      A       192.168.0.9
> third.website.org.       IN      A       192.168.0.9

Three approaches spring to mind.

1) Have a private root zone (.) then you can put anything you
like in it, but your DNS server is not useful for the Internet
as it believes it knows the whole Internet.

2) Use /etc/hosts

3) Have a generic zone file using "@" for domain names, and
relative addresses.

(Very) roughly....
@ SOA blahblahblah
  NS myname
  IN A 192.168.0.9
myname IN A 192.168.0.9
www IN A 192.168.0.9

Then just copy your test.co.uk zone entry in named.conf, swap
test.co.uk for whatever zone you are adding, point it to the
same file, and reload named.