MX Record

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 10 14:19:32 UTC 2002

In article <abf5sk$bc15$1 at isrv4.isc.org>, OSC <ohsc99 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>I would like to configure my SMTP to use other port other than 25. Anyone
>any idea how that can be done.
>
>This is to help to filter crooks who try to use my SMTP to sent emails.
>Thanks in advance.

Moving your SMTP server to a different port will stop the crooks.  But it
will also stop all the legitimate mail, since normal mail clients and SMTP
servers will try to connect to it on port 25.  So you might as well just
shut off the SMTP server entirely.

If you posted this to the BIND group hoping to find something you could put
in DNS to tell all these other servers what port you're on, you're out of
luck.  The only thing available for mail routing is MX records, which only
specifies an alternate hostname, not an alternate port.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA