mx and subdomain

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Tue May 7 00:38:29 UTC 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 04:58:33PM -0700, Norman Zhang wrote:

> I would like to setup a subdomain for mail routing within my current domain.
> I used the following setup,
>
> db.test.com
>
> mail.test.com IN A     10.10.10.10

This gives you a record for mail.test.com.test.com, which is Not What
You Want. You must dot-terminate your records if you're going to use
FQDNs in your zone file.

> @             IN MX 10 mail
>
> subgroup          IN A     10.10.10.20
> subgroup.test.com IN MX 10 10.10.10.20
>
> Would the mail end with @subgroup.test.com still go to mail.test.com?

First, you again forgot to dot-terminate the FQDN entry, giving you an
MX for subgroup.test.com.test.com. Second, MX records to not point to
IP addresses, they point to canonical names. Third, you seem to want
mail for subgroup.test.com to go to mail.test.com, but your MX, even if
it were legal, points to the ip address of subgroup, not mail.

What I assume you want is:

subgroup    A     10.10.10.20
            MX 10 mail.test.com.

Or, if you do *not* want mail to handle email for subgroup:

subgroup    A     10.10.10.20
            MX 10 subgroup.test.com.

-Pete