Bind 9 conguration problem (newbie)

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon May 6 18:50:26 UTC 2002

In article <ab67at$5qgo$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
The Fugitive <fugitif at altern.org> wrote:
>Hi !
>
>It's my first DNS configuration, I've read DNS-BIND HOWTO in order to
>configure it, but I've still something strange:
>
>When a client asks for www.yahoo.fr, I get the following answer (using
>nslookup):
>
>> www.yahoo.fr
>Server:  ns.mydomain.org
>Address:  192.168.0.1
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>Name:    www.yahoo.fr.mydomain.org
>Addresses:  63.149.6.91, 63.64.164.91
>
>'mydomain.org' is my domain. As you see, in the answer, I get the suffix for
>my domain... How may I get a "clean" answer. I think it may come from the
>fact that my DNS is caching.
>However, everything works fine, it does not seem to be a problem for the
>clients.

What's probably happening is that the initial lookup of www.yahoo.fr is
failing, so the client tries again with the default domain appended.  You
presumably have a wildcard record for *.mydomain.org that allows that
second query to succeed.

You need to figure out why the first lookup is failing.  Try using "dig" or
the "set verbose" command in nslookup to see what's really happening.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA