Internal and external zone with same name

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri May 3 21:55:23 UTC 2002

> In article <aaueub$1j0r$1 at isrv4.isc.org>, E N  <wigno at libero.it> wrote:
> >How i can tell to the internal dns server to forward the query for
> >www.abc.com?.
>
> Put the following in the internal server's named.conf file:
>
> zone "www.abc.com" {
>   type forward;
>   forwarders { <address of external server>; };
> };

	This won't work.  The forwarders directive only takes effect
	if the nameserver recurses and because www.abc.com is not
	being delegated it won't recures.  You may be able to get away
	with this if you delegate www.abc.com in the internal zone.

> Although if it's just for this one DNS entry, it would probably be simpler
> to just copy the A record into the zone on the internal DNS server.

	I agree with this later suggestion as the best alternative.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org