Round robin on CNAME

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Sun Mar 31 18:33:05 UTC 2002

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 11:09:33AM -0500, William Stacey wrote:
> > The experts on this list undoubtedly noticed that Akamai uses a CNAME
> > instead of simply delegating the domain name. I'm supposed to talk to
> > the Akamai PD people this week to explain how delegation is more
> > efficient.
>
> Could you expand on that here too that we may also benefit?

It's a small difference, but we're dealing with really busy domain names
here, and small differences matter. When a CNAME is encountered, the
query has to be rewritten with the new name. This costs in computing
resources, adding latency. Following NS records without rewriting the
query would be better.

Ideally, I could give the akadns nameservers names inside the lycos.com
domain, and I could delegate "in bailiwick", and provide the IPs as glue.
This would be extremely efficient and fast. This is what I'll actually
push for.

Like Bill W's program says, "Half measures availed us nothing."
--
Nate

"If all else fails, read the documentation."