Wildcards for MX and CNAME in same zone - allowed?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 17:17:07 UTC 2002

"Van Bemmel, Berend" wrote:

> *       MX 10           mailhost.example.com.
> *       CNAME           www.example.com

> Can somebody tell me if my ISP is right or that I should pursue the matter
> further with them.

Your ISP is wrong a zone file can have multiple wildcard
entries.

However you can't have a CNAME record and another type. (CNAME
and other).

Say in your example we add in;

www	MX 10 	ourwebhosters.example.com

Now where do I send mail to "fred.example.com"?

Obviously fred matches the MX wildcard so I send it to mailhost.

Obviously fred matches the CNAME wildcard so I send it to www,
which has MX for ourwebhosters.

You should be able to have "* IN A 1.2.3.4" where 1.2.3.4 is the
IP address of the www.example.com server, along side the "MX"
record.

  Simon, okay Barry CNAMEs aren't really evil but they can
confuse the unwary, Waters