in-addr.arpa delegation

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Thu Mar 28 05:22:20 UTC 2002

"LD" <no_spam at fiberia.com> wrote in message
news:a7u59a$od5 at pub3.rc.vix.com...
> How can I re-delegate an in-addr.arpa zone? For example, if ARIN delegated
5.10.20.in-addr.arpa
> to ns1.somedomain.com and ns2.somedomain.com, which in turn needed to
delegate
> 5.10.20.in-addr.arpa to ns1.otherdomain.com and ns2.otherdomain.com, how
would
> ns1/ns2.somedomain.com re-delegate it?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do here.  Currently you
have a block that is delegated by ARIN to 2 nameservers.  You want the
*entire* block to be served by 2 different nameservers?  Unless I'm missing
something here, why not go back to ARIN and change the delegation?

If this is part of a larger block - i.e. 10.20.in-addr.arpa. is delegated to
ns[12].somedomain.com, and you want 5.10.20.in-addr.arpa. to be hosted
elsewhere, it could be done with:
$origin 10.20.in-addr.arpa.
@ SOA ns1.somedomain.com. admin.somedomain.com. 1 86400 10800 2419200 3600
5 NS ns1.otherdomain.com.
  NS ns2.otherdomain.com.

> I've tried making ns1/ns2.somedomain.com authoritative for
5.10.20.in-addr.arpa with NS records
> of ns1/ns2.otherdomain.com, but that doesn't seem to work. Do I need to
delegate each
> individual IP, i.e. {1-254}.5.10.20.in-addr.arpa, to
ns1/ns2.otherdomain.com, or is there a