Logging Question Again

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Mon Mar 25 21:19:17 UTC 2002

on 3/25/02 8:26 AM, Jeff Grossman at jeff at stikman.com wrote:

> I have been reading the O'Reilly DNS and Bind book and can't figure out why
> my logging is not working.  I have the following in my named.conf file, but
> nothing is logged besides the startup line telling me what version is
> running.
>
> logging {
>       channel default_syslog {
>               syslog auth;
>               severity info;
>       };
>
>       channel default_debug {
>               file "named.run";
>               severity dynamic;
>       };
>
>       category default { default_syslog; default_debug; };
>       category lame-servers { null; };
>       category config { default_syslog; };
>       category notify { default_syslog; };
>       category xfer-in { default_syslog; };
>       category xfer-out { default_syslog; };
> };
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff
>
> P.s.  How do I get rid of this line in my messages file:
>
> Mar 25 08:04:51 apple named[15994]: the default for the 'auth-nxdomain'
> option i
> s now 'no'
>

> I am running Bind 9.1.0-8.

Okay, I think I have it working now.  I was running Bind 9.1.0-10 rpm from
Redhat for Redhat 7.1.  I uninstalled that version, and installed version
9.2.0 from source.  The logging seems to be working now.

I have a different question now though.  I am running it as root.  The
redhat rpm version ran as named.  Should I configure it to work as named, or
continue to run it as root?

Thanks,
Jeff
--