Logging Question Again

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Mon Mar 25 19:39:31 UTC 2002

on 3/25/02 10:37 AM, Barry Margolin at barmar at genuity.net wrote:

> In article <a7nk2r$ihh at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Jeff Grossman  <jeff at grossman.name> wrote:
>> I have been reading the O'Reilly DNS and Bind book and can't figure out why
>> my logging is not working.  I have the following in my named.conf file, but
>> nothing is logged besides the startup line telling me what version is
>> running.
>
> The problem could be in your syslog.conf file.  What level of auth.XXX
> messages does it send to the log file?
>
>> logging {
>>        channel default_syslog {
>>                syslog auth;
>>                severity info;
>>        };
>>
>>        channel default_debug {
>>                file "named.run";
>>                severity dynamic;
>>        };
>>
>>        category default { default_syslog; default_debug; };
>>        category lame-servers { null; };
>>        category config { default_syslog; };
>>        category notify { default_syslog; };
>>        category xfer-in { default_syslog; };
>>        category xfer-out { default_syslog; };
>> };

I first had it set to daemon like Bind recommends.  But, since it was not
working, I changed it to auth.  My syslog.conf is set to send all *.info to
/var/messages.  But, since maybe I am missing something, here is my
syslog.conf file

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  /var/log/maillog

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages, plus log them on another
# machine.
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save mail and news errors of level err and higher in a
# special file.
uucp.*                                          /var/log/spooler

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log

news.info                                               /var/log/news

local2.debug                                            /var/log/sudo

mail.notice                                             /var/log/mailerror

Thanks,
Jeff
--
Jeff Grossman (jeff at grossman.name)