restarting bind

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Sun Mar 24 03:44:01 UTC 2002

Warwick Brown wrote:

> is it better to use ndc restart or kill -HUP `cat /var/run/named.pid `
> (which i currently use)?
>
> my personal belief is that the 2nd option is the best coz it doesnt reload
> every single zone (only the ones that have changed)

	Personal beliefs rarely enter into technical matters. :) The two things
you described above are entirely different. Restarting the server means
to kill the one that is running, and start a new instance. named
responds to -HUP as if ndc had sent it a 'reload' command. Reload does
actually examine each zone file, but only reloads the ones that have
changed since the last reload.

Hope this helps.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?