Removing bundled in.named in Solaris 8

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Mar 23 23:16:50 UTC 2002

James W.Smith <stone at panix.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to identify and remove the bundled version of Bind
> (in.named)from Solaris 8?  I have already done a pkginfo to try to find
> it but couldn't. And btw, where should the bind-9.2.0.tar go before you
> run ./configure? It didn't install anything anywhere except in the
> bind-9.2.0 subdirectories.

I think sun considers them "base-utils" thus no pkg info available.

"rm" is your friend here :-)

Don't forget nslookup !

As for your second question, bind-9 will, by itself, install in
/usr/local/{bin|sbin}. If you accept that you need to adjust your
startup scripts in /etc/init.d

The alternative is to move the new named to /usr/sbin/in.named ( replacing SUN's
named) Both alternatives will do the job.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)