"Dale Shulmistra": BIND DNS in a windows environment

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Mar 20 01:00:15 UTC 2002

At 03:06 PM 3/19/02, Paul Vixie wrote:

>I cannot find any information regarding a BIND DNS Server and Windows
>clients.
>
>I am trying to setup a linux box (also gateway to internet), and have the
>linux box act as my DNS Server.  I've setup my forward & reverse zones, the
>name server, the hosts (windows clients).
>
>I cannot connect my windows clients to the domain (Windows 2000 => Network
>Identificaton => Properties => and then enter the domain name I setup on the
>BIND DNS Server).  I get "The Specified domain does exist or cannot be
>contacted".

This is a Windows Domain and has nothing to do with TCP/IP.  It's trying to
find a domain controller and is failing.  Instead of entering a domain name in
the Domain box, select the "More..." button and in that box you can enter
the Primary DNS suffix of this computer. This is meant to be the IP domain
name of the box. When you click okay and go back to the previous screen
it will show you under the "Full computer name" the name of machine that
was entered above under "Computer name" followed by a dot and then the
name of the domain you just entered.

By the way, none of this has anything to do with BIND or DNS.

         Danny