classless in-addr.arpa

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Mar 19 01:24:13 UTC 2002

In article <a75vlf$mj6 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
John Heiden  <jheiden2 at pop3.utoledo.edu> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Is that CIDR notation I see in the zone designation?
>
>If so, where can I find more information to using that?
>
>Or better yet, if you take a "subnet" which is broken down
>by other than the usual 255.255.255.0 convention, meaning
>I would like to use 255.255.255.224 instead, how would I
>set up reverse DNS for that?  I would think that using
>224/27.xxx.yyy.zzz would be the ideal way to set it up, assuming
>I am guessing right on what the below all means.

The name of the subdomain is arbitrary.  Using CIDR notation is a common
convention, and RFC 2317 uses it as an example, but you can use just about
anything you want.  Some organizations even put the subnet's reverse domain
in their forward domain, so that the CNAME records in the parent domain
would look like:

0 IN CNAME 0.rev.customer.com.
1 IN CNAME 1.rev.customer.com.
31 IN CNAME 31.rev.customer.com.