help for bind

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Mar 18 19:41:29 UTC 2002

In article <a75dtb$juj at pub3.rc.vix.com>, lhzhou <lhzhou at bj.cnuninet.net> wrote:
>hello,experts:
>      Here I get two NS server(BIND8.2.2), as you can see, dns1 and dns2,
>dns1 is the parent domain owner of dns2, but I fail to resolve a domain
>name :www.163.com. in dns1(it doesn't belong to the domain of dns1 or
>dns2) ,and succeed in dns2 , I find the authoritative answers are not the
>same. I can't give the reason ,for the two root.cache in each system is
>the same.
>      Now I am to solve the poblem of dns1's not being able to resolve
>the certain domain name(www.163.com), who can help me or give me some
>advice? Thanks a lots,

Your side-by-side posting was really difficult to read.  Please don't do
that again.

The problem is that the two nameservers, ns.nease.net and ns2.nease.net,
have different addresses for ns2.nease.net.  Your two nameservers have
probably queried different ones of them, and then cached the different
answers they gave.

% dig 163.com ns @ns.nease.net +norec

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> 163.com ns @ns.nease.net +norec
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	163.com, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
163.com.		1H IN NS	ns2.nease.net.
163.com.		1H IN NS	ns.nease.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns2.nease.net.		10H IN A	61.145.113.57
ns.nease.net.		10H IN A	202.106.185.75

;; Total query time: 235 msec
;; FROM: tools.genuity.com to SERVER: ns.nease.net  202.106.185.75
;; WHEN: Mon Mar 18 14:38:45 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 25  rcvd: 101

% dig 163.com ns @ns2.nease.net +norec

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> 163.com ns @ns2.nease.net +norec
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	163.com, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
163.com.		1H IN NS	ns2.nease.net.
163.com.		1H IN NS	ns.nease.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns2.nease.net.		10H IN A	202.103.134.4
ns.nease.net.		10H IN A	202.106.185.75

;; Total query time: 231 msec
;; FROM: tools.genuity.com to SERVER: ns2.nease.net  61.145.113.57
;; WHEN: Mon Mar 18 14:38:51 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 25  rcvd: 101

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA