Problems with granitecanyon DNS

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Sat Mar 16 03:37:38 UTC 2002

"Barry Margolin" <barmar at genuity.net> wrote in message
news:a6tt08$ij0 at pub3.rc.vix.com...
> In article <a6trd9$ic7 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Albert Perrien II <rings888 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I've tried several times to update the domain phoenixcustom.com to
include a
> >MX record for it's mail server. I sent the following zone file back with
the
> >email message I recieved from granitecanyon's automated email, but none
of
> >the changes have taken effect, and I'm not getting an error message. (I
> >checked using dig phoenixcustom.com any) What am I doing wrong?

Did you get an e-mail back saying the changes were complete?  If not, that
usually indicates your mailer messed up the PGP signature.  I don't see your
domain in the reject list.

> The phoenixcustom.com domain doesn't seem to be installed on the GC server
> at all.
>
> >phoenixcustom.com. IN SOB www.phoenixcustom.com kalg.tscnet.com.
>
> SOB?  Shouldn't that be SOA?

SOB is a custom RR that GC uses to tell itself to set up a slave zone -
since their scripts are stateless.  Normally you wouldn't see that in
combination with other RRs

> >phoenixcustom.com. IN NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
> >phoenixcustom.com. IN NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
> >
> >phoenixcustom.com. IN RP kalg.tscnet.com.

RP record is malformed.  Should have a txt record.

phoenixcustom.com. IN RP kalg.tscnet.com. rp.phoenixcustom.com.
rp.phoenixcustom.com. IN TXT "some more information about contact person
here"

> >localhost.phoenixcustom.com IN A 127.0.0.1
>
> Since you didn't end the name with a "." to indicate that the name is
fully
> qualified, the origin will be appended, so this creates an entry for
> localhost.phoenixcustom.com.phoenixcustom.com.  Is that what you wanted?
>
> >www   IN A 66.179.38.42
> >mail   IN A 66.179.38.42
> >
> >66.179.38.42  IN PTR www
> >66.179.38.42  IN PTR mail
> >
> >mail   IN MX 100 mail
> >
> >phoenixcustom  IN MX  100 mail
>
> This creates an MX record for phoenixcustom.phoenixcustom.com, is that
what
> you wanted?
>
> If you want mail for user at phoenixcustom.com to be delivered somewhere, you
> need an MX record for the domain itself:
>
> phoenixcustom.com. IN MX 100 mail
>
> >Apologies for posting here... I am unable to post to
news.granitecanyon.com.
> >(It won't accept soaguest/soaguest as a username/password pair)

GC's news server is anonymous - no username or password.

> Their news server has been down for years.  But I thought they told people
> to post to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains.  Are they now referring people
> comp.protocols.dns.bind instead?

Actually it's only been down since Oct/Nov 2001.  It's been back online for
about 2 months now, but the only people who seem to be able to post are
groups.google.com users.